Free Events at Yerba Buena This Weekend
On a budget? Looking for a little free fun in the city this weekend?
Well, look no further. There are two great free events going on at Yerba Buena this weekend. Yerba Buena — bordered by 2nd St., 5th Street, Market and Harrison – is a downtown San Francisco neighborhood of artists, patrons, urbanistas, fashionistas, movie lovers, night clubbers, shop keepers, score keepers, entrepreneurs, restauranteurs, worker bees, retirees, technologists and mixologists.
Here’s what’s going on this weekend:
Saturday, Oct. 15
Yerba Buena Nights
4:00 p.m. to midnight
Enjoy the bright lights of the city and a free evening of outdoor art, music, dance and performance. You can:
- Listen to live samba, bluegrass and contemporary music on two stages
- See flamenco and modern dance performance or get on the dancefloor yourself for a dance marathon, benefitting Make-A-Wish Foundation and other local nonprofits.
- Check out a surprise performance by Cirque du Soleil.
- Admire art at the free gallery walk at a dozen renowned Yerba Buena galleries. You’ll also see cutting edge video art projections and get to experience interactive art.
Click here for all the details for Yerba Buena Night.
Sunday, Oct. 16
Yerba Buena Family Day
11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Yerba Buena Family Day, presented by Target, is downtown San Francisco’s biggest daylong family block party with free admission, special art activities and free performances for children and families at the following venues:
- Be inspired by the exhibition Richard Serra Drawing: A Retrospective
- Sketch, scribble, and squiggle your way through the wonderful world of drawing
- Marvel at Harry Houdini’s famous escape acts in the exhibition Houdini: Art and Magic
- Thrill to a live performance by The Magic of Chin-Chin
- Tour the exhibition COLLECTED: Stories of Acquisition and Reclamation
- Make a memory box to take home, participate in a drumming workshop and more
- Be among the first to experience the Museum’s freshly redesigned exhibits including the new Imagination Lab
- Create clay animations, music videos, digital art and more
- Ride the historic carousel for free
- From hula dancers to taiko drummers, enjoy live performances on the Esplanade Stage in the Gardens from 11:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Delight in the clowning of Unique Derique and the grooves of the Venezuelan Music Project on the Children’s Stage near the Children’s Creativity Museum from 12:00 to 3:00 p.m.